I'm writing this one in super duper fast mode because I'm just home for lunch and I only have 40 minutes to bang this one out (pardon?) and I am typically a painfully slow "composer" ( it takes time to create the brilliance that is my writing) but this is a super duper important announcement that I want to get out there in order to give everyone time to run out to your nearest retailer and purchase the best movie ever before Halloween is over.
It is imperative that TONIGHT you get your mitts on a copy of....
Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas.
Goddamn it's a phenomenal movie.
It is absolutely brilliant in soooooo many ways that I feel I must present to you:
"A Comprehensive List of What is Absolutely Brillant About The Nightmare Before Christmas...as I see it anyway"
- The story is compelling and whimsical and spooky and poignant and funny and just plain old spectacular. It's based on a poem Tim Burton wrote back in 1982.
- The stop-action animation is breath-taking. It really truly is. I've watched it every single Halloween since circa 1994 and each time I've been blown away by the "look" of this movie. All the amazingly intricate details are incredibly and even more so when you factor in the fact that they are little models being manipulated frame by frame...it's wild. What's even more wild is that up until last year, I've only ever watched it on VHS...??!!...I'm a pioneer, remember?? And then, last year on Halloween, I arrived in the year the 2000's and got the brain wave ... more like a brain tsunami ... to actually watch it on DVD and we drove around to every movie purchasing/rental place we could think of to find a copy...and we could only find ONE copy to ...to rent. So we did. And then, we got home and all four of us settled in on the movie-watchin' couch and I proceeded to have my mind BLOWN...Holy Shit!! Apparently, an animated movie is about a bazillion times more amazing on DVD than it is on a 17 year old VHS tape...huh...weird. And since then, we searched the world and bought a BluRay copy through eBay and it is about a GAZILLION times more amazing than on DVD. Unreal.
- The lyrics/dialogue are/is clever and funny and smart and witty and hilarious and totally crack me up year after year after year. HA!
- The music, by Danny Elfman, is spectacular. He uses a full orchestra...and then some and it is staggeringly great. I'm pretty big on that sort of thing....right back to when I was a wee little squirrel and my favourite thing to do (other than reading Dr. Seuss and Winnie the Pooh) was to lie on the floor beside the speaker and listen to my story-set-to-orchestral-music records...I adored Peter and the Wolf and 3 Little Pigs. My little Self got totally freaked out by all the scary tunes... Love it!!
- It's a multi-holiday movie...Halloween AND Christmas!! How awesome is that?? I can't even really remember what holiday it was actually intended for...I think it was originally released for the Christmas season way back then.
- My kids love it as much as I do. We listened to the soundtrack FULL BLAST on the drive to school today and we sang our brains out alongside Jack Skellington... Magical. It really really was :D Actually...I have to admit...that I got all teary-eyed after I dropped them off and carried on listening to it on my way to work. It was wonderful.
Ok...now I have to get back to work and then get home and carve a whack of pumpkins (why we didn't do it last night, i'm not entirely sure) and put up my halloween lights and then when all the lil trick or treaters have been and gone(we're super excited because we'll actually get some kids this year...my sis-in-law told me 15-20 of them apparently... which is a HUGE deal since for the past 3 years we have been trick or treater-less because our old house was stuck on a road out in the country. We're still stuck on a road out in the country in our new house but we are just up that country road from a nice little tiny subdivision where apparently 15-30 kiddos live :D ...we'll settle in on our movie-watchin' couch and watch what is probably my favourite movie of all time.
p.s. This is my favourite song:
I absolutely adore the lyrics...so clever and awesome!!